Dave Hesselink is a Principal at Sullivan, Cotter and Associates, Inc. Dave joined SullivanCotter with over 20 years of health care leadership experience in chief financial officer and chief executive officer roles, most recently with Centura Health Physician Group in Colorado. During his career, he has worked for major health care organizations including the Cleveland Clinic, Hillcrest Medical Group and Alegent Creighton Clinic, as well as professional services firms.
Drawing from his diverse background, Dave brings a wealth of expertise in the areas of physician compensation and benefits plan design and implementation, physician contracting, compliance, financial reporting and revenue cycle management. His accomplishments include the following:
- Reorganized physician group board and committee structure to provide effective physician governance models.
- Designed and implemented new physician compensation and benefits plans that aligned compensation with productivity and quality improvement benchmarks and increased physician satisfaction.
- Developed consistent physician employment agreement templates and a structured process for physician contracting, ensuring compliance with fair market value standards and all safe harbors.
- Led many physician practice acquisitions, including both primary care and specialty groups.
- Recruited many physicians to a variety of employment models.
- Administered a variety of physician compensation plans, including payroll and benefits plan administration, creating policy and procedure support, physician reporting, fair market value compliance and measurement of quality metrics.
Since joining the firm, Dave has assisted clients with physician compensation plan design, compensation fair market value assessment, and improving physician compensation governance processes.
Dave holds both an MBA and MHA from the University of Missouri-Columbia. Additionally, he is a certified medical practice executive from the American College of Medical Practice Executives as well as a certified healthcare executive from the American College of Healthcare Executives.