Jim Butler is a Principal in the Physician Workforce Practice at Sullivan, Cotter and Associates, Inc. He is a longstanding leader in the field and has over 30 years of experience partnering with a variety of health care organizations nationwide to develop and implement strategic planning, care delivery optimization and physician alignment solutions.
As organizations anticipate the transition to new value-based care delivery and reimbursement models, Jim’s deep clinical, financial and operational expertise will aid clients in navigating these shifts and addressing key integration and alignment issues. He has a proven track record in care delivery operations management and finance, and specializes in hospital-physician alignment, service line optimization, clinical integration network development and physician enterprise optimization.
Jim’s expertise includes:
- Assisting health systems with the feasibility assessment and transactional management of physician enterprise, including joint venture management services organizations and mergers and acquisitions repositioning.
- Implementing integrated physician-hospital strategies and incentives to mitigate negative variances and align physician-hospital outcomes, quality objectives and develop a marketable growth strategy.
- Completing in-depth service line assessment, including: cost variation reduction (facility and physician), length of stay variance, readmission, Medicare reimbursement penalties, and completed demand match analysis to best align staffing ratios to utilization.
- Conducting clinical integration readiness assessments and payer analyses for progressive health systems that are developing risk based platforms.
- Developing provider compensation models and agreements to promote physician-hospital alignment, including facilitating fair market value compliance evaluations, and assisting in the valuation of professional service agreements.
Jim previously worked for The Advisory Board Company where he served as Vice President, Consulting and Management Division, led a number of complex physician-hospital alignment arrangements and service line development and optimization projects.
He holds a Master of Science in Health Care Administration from the Milano Graduate School of Management and a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and Business Administration with a minor in Economics and Finance from New Mexico State University.