Thomas Johnston is a Principal in the Physician Workforce Practice of Sullivan, Cotter and Associates, Inc. With more than 30 years of health care industry experience in a variety of leadership roles, Tom brings unique experience in strategic planning, physician/hospital alignment, contracting strategies and operations management. He works effectively with stakeholders at all levels to create effective governance models and successful implementation plans.
Tom’s experience includes:
- Developing new health care business partnerships and leading hospital and physician mergers and acquisitions.
- Advancing the relationship between organizations and their physicians and developing strategies to promote hospital and physician integration.
- Leading physician group practice integration strategies, including establishment of clinical benchmarks, performance metrics, measurement systems and data collection to support incentive compensation.
- Developing service line co-management agreements to bring physicians and hospitals together for managing and improving the quality and efficiency of a hospital service line.
- Conducting contract negotiations for a variety of reimbursement arrangements including value-based contracting and bundled case rates.
- Streamlining operations and human resources, achieving the “triple aim” of greater patient satisfaction, higher quality and lower cost.
- Developing governance strategies, matrices to align authority and accountability and effectively implementing through consensus building.
Tom is a regular presenter at health care industry conferences and has published extensively throughout his career.
Prior to joining the firm, Tom held a number of executive leadership roles with health care providers and in consulting. He has served as the CEO of Austin Pain Associates, PLLC, CEO of EmployerDirect Healthcare, CEO of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeons, P.A., and the Vice President of Eisenhower Medical Clinics. He recently served as a Vice President for Paragon Health and Director at Navigant Consulting, Inc.
Tom holds a Juris Doctorate with a special focus in contract law from the Ventura College of Law and a bachelor’s degree in political science and international relations from California State University, Northridge. He is a member of the Medical Group Management Association and served as president to the Texas Medical Group Management Association, as well as the Surgical Leadership Alliance.